Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I am a big kid now...

Trevor has accomplished three great things since October...
#1: He no longer has a binky!
#2: He is potty trained!!
#3: He sleeps in a big boy bed!!!

(I didn't take any pictures in the moment so these were reenacted or from when he was little)

When I found out I was pregnant I wanted to do these three things with Trevor before the baby was born: take away the binky, potty train, and switch to a bed.
So the beginning of October we took away his binky. I had heard a couple of different ways to do this and decided to cut the binky and throw it away because it was "broken". I picked this one because, Trevor understood when something was broken that you threw it away. So each time we put Trevor to bed we would cut a slice in one binky (we had about 6 of them) so Trevor couldn't suck it anymore. He then put it in the trash and then he and Dad would take it outside to the big trash. I was so worried this was going to be so hard, but Trevor surprised me! He did great. He was sad for a couple of days after all the binkies were "broken and in the trash", but he only cried for about 5 minutes total once they were all gone...once that night for 3 minutes and for about 2 minutes at his nap the next day and that was it. He did go around for the next month or so saying "Binky broke...Dad big trash...Binky all gone!" but that was it.
So, one down and two to go...
The first part of November I decided to potty train. Just one day I decided to do it. I found some stickers and made a chart and we started. I put him in underwear from the start and we just watched movies and ate lots of junk food and pop and he would say pee pee and we would go to the bathroom and sit on the potty and read books or if it ran down his legs we would run to the potty. I made a very detailed chart that I used to chart his progress (it was the teacher coming out in me) day one he had lots of accidents, day two he had about half as many and by day three he had even less and I think he had it by day four (I will have to see if I can find my chart :))!!! I still was really nervous so we stayed home for a couple of weeks. He also used a pull up for nap and bed time (I was still cautious so he wore them for about a month). For Trevor, potty training went great...he was just ready. Brooke, his cousin, had been doing it for awhile and I think Trevor just wanted to do it as well! Now, he has to see every bathroom at every store and he uses the bathroom at church a number of times every week, and he still has his occisional accidents and we have to help him in the bathroom, but he is off to a great start.
Two down, and one to go..
So the first part of December came the big boy bed. I was so worried he would not stay in his bed and would get up every 5 minutes but it wasn't that bad. We had to take his crib down so he thought it was broken, but then he slept in his bed. He got up a couple of times at the start. And we thought wow, easy! But a few weeks in he started getting out of bed again. We tried a couple of different things leaving the door open, but if he got up we shut it (then he would cry and we would open it again), reading him stories, singing songs, leaving lights on, anything to get him to stay in bed and go to sleep, finally after a couple of weeks we worked out a system that worked for both him and us. Now he stays in bed (that is once we get him there. He is great at stalling.)

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

I am so jealous of the potty and the binky! I might send Macey to live at your house for awhile so you can work your magic :)