Monday, March 12, 2012

Our New Rides...

...and nope, we didn't go buy new cars.... Nick and I decided that we really want to try and get outdoors more with our boys this spring and summer and enjoy this wonderful area that we live in and be a little more active...one way we are going to try and do that is to ride bikes! So you are looking at the proud new owner of a bike (Nick would say to you I already had a bike, but now I have a new one!)
(Nick and Jake and Trevor right before we set out...)
Saturday was our first bike ride as a family...I was so excited, I was so giddy...I had such high expectations how I saw this going (I was pretty sure there was going to be music playing in the background as we were riding down the road happily as a family). Well, let's just say it didn't go quite how I envisioned...
We set our from our house and about 10 feet from it this was the scene...
(Trevor standing by his new bike, before the ride)
Trevor had just gotten a new two wheeler with training wheels and he was scared to death to ride it, he wouldn't pedal it, and he jumped off and said "I am done"... so I was trying to help him by remaining calm and encouraging, but all the while I was telling Nick (behind Trevor) we should just go home, this isn't going to work, because I was trying to ride my bike, and Nick couldn't do much because he had Jake on his bike...finally Nick took my bike, I walked by Trevor and we headed to the nearby school to ride in the parking lot...we finally made it...Trevor improved somewhat while we were there, at least he would ride it if I held on to it...Jake had a wonderful time with Dad...and I got to ride my bike for a moment. As we headed home Trevor wouldn't ride his bike at all, (he had just fallen off of it, and yes, while I was holding it) so he walked beside Nick and Jake, and I walked my bike and Trevor's bike home...
(me walking Trevor's and my bike home)
Not exactly how I planned... I told Nick after we got home that I had moments of, why are we doing this...to this is the greatest thing ever...to I will never do this again...to I loved every minute... but it was great, and we will do it again and again....yeah for more bike rides! (Side note...I am not sure why on earth I thought Trevor would/could just ride a two wheeler with training wheels without any practice whatsoever... Nick did think it was a little ambitious of us! But Trevor will keep practicing and he will get it, because as I tell him, sometimes we just have to do hard things!)

6 comments:

Melissa and Jason said...

How fun! I love riding bikes...what a great thing to do as a family!

Kara and Matt said...

"Music playing in the background" you're so funny! I love it! I'm sure Trevor will get the hang of it soon and will LOVE it!

Holli said...

Awesome! How come you didn't tell me you were buying bikes? (Other than for Trevor.)

Crystal Nelson said...

I think riding bikes with the kids is hard work! I had to make a deal with Taylor to ride without training wheels. He said he would do it before our daughter was born. He lived up to his end of the bargain. I still can't Alex to ride a bigger bike (though he has fully outgrown the one he has). But it is so fun to do together! They love going out there and riding while I push the younger two in the stroller. Then they ask to do it again and again and again. So excited for you and the new adventures that await for your family!

Bryson and Tara said...

That is so funny! I feel like that with a lot of things... I have such high expectations. I'm sure your bike riding experiences will improve each time! And I have fond memories of bike riding with my family as a kid.

Emily M said...

Oh, yes. Teaching kids to ride bikes is hard work. Harris is our only child thus far who actually enjoys riding bikes. Jack and Will still have to be forced. But you are right-- the more practice they get the more confident they will be. It'll happen. I'm excited you got a new bike. I've been meaning to do that for a while. Good luck!