Friday, October 5, 2012

Memorial Day

This Memorial day (as in Memorial days past) we went to some cemeteries to put flowers on the graves of some of our relatives.  We started doing this a few years ago and I love that we have continued.  

We start off in Murray where my great grandparents are buried.  This year there was actually another family putting flowers on the same grave.  It was neat to meet them, but I really couldn't bring around how we were related, which taught me a lesson--I need to do some family history.  

 Then we head to the Salt Lake City Cemetery where my other set of great grandparents are buried.  It took us awhile to find these graves....we were at the wrong spot, a block too far west from where we wanted to be.  Here the boys are sitting under a tree at SLC Cemetery. 

And then we head up to the Farmington Cemetery where Nick's grandparents are buried.  This is actually the grandpa who Trevor is named after.  (Jacob was asleep in the car).   
It was was a wonderful day to remember those we love.  I hope to learn more about those we go to visit so in coming years we can tell stories about them on our way to the cemeteries.

And now the story about giving President Monson a high five!

We were at the Salt Lake City cemetery trying to find my great grandparents graves.  Trying to find being the key word...I thought I knew where they were at because we had been there a number of times before, but they were not where I thought they should be.  So I told Nick I was going to call Jeana and see if she could help me.  So I was in the car calling Jeana and Nick was trying to contain the boys.  When all of a sudden Nick hears "Look at that Tiger go!" in reference to Jacob running around.  Nick thought, "that voice sounds familiar who is that?"...and when he looks up he sees President Monson walking to a grave.  Nick then asks Trevor and Jacob "who is that?" and Jacob says "President Monson."  Trevor starts to get a little sad because he didn't say hi to him, so Nick says go stand by him.  So Trevor does (and all the while I am watching from the car, thinking...what is my son doing!)  and Trevor goes and stands by the prophet and when he looks up he says "Hi Tiger, give me a high five!".  It was so neat to see Trevor give him a high five!  Then as President Monson heads back to his car these two girls come up to him and say hello.  And he says "Well hello, how are you two today?"  and one responds it is my birthday.  And he just starts to sing happy birthday.  And when he finished he says, "I don't sing for everyone!"  And then he gets in his car and heads off.  
It was such a neat thing to have the boys see President Monson!  We were at the wrong place at the right time.  We were a block away from where my great grandparents are buried.  Thanks Jeana for helping me find the right place!         



1 comment:

Gerri said...

What a fun day! And the girls who were there, live across the street from me. The one who's birthday it was, is one of my Beehives. She told me Pre Monson sang to her for her birthday!